Tuesday, September 4, 2012

The 10 Rookie Mistakes of an Author



What’s woody, kinfolk?

Taking cat-breaks from writing my upcoming novel Thick in the Nick of Time gives me a breather to bless ya’ll with blogging

I say that with every ounce of conceit that seeps through the pores of my brain

But today, I’m putting that conceit aside to highlight some mistakes authors that first come in the game make…I’ve done some of the nonsense that I’m about to post…the bright side of the coin is that I learned from them

Therefore, I’m dropping some quick jewels to both the aspiring and the wannabee so they won’t make the same mistakes that I and others have made



1. Don’t cuss out a reviewer if he or she gives you a bad rating

No need to get angry…what you think of your work is the only thing that matters…Tyler Perry's movies constantly gets crushed by reviewers, but he still make millions


 

2. Getting angry because someone doesn’t buy your book

Just say “have a nice day” and give them a bookmark if someone turns you down at a book signing…you never know if that person changes their mind

 

3. Spamming on Facebook or any other social media

CLICK HERE for a past blog


 

4. Insulting your audience because they “don’t get it”

Either explain to them the true meaning of your work, or simplify the story the next go ‘round…or just say “I don’t give a fuck” by going with what’s in your heart


Just don’t insult the reader…they bought the book…be grateful for that


 

5. Calling someone a “hater” because they dislike your book

Not everybody is gonna like your work…instead of throwing the “hater” word around when readers don’t dig your work, find out WHY they don’t so you can improve for the next book


I’m sure you can tell the difference between constructive criticism and just blatant foolery


 

6. Not getting an editor for your book

You NEED an editor to look over your work…a PROFESSIONAL editor at that…don’t shortcut by using your baby daddy’s cousin 2nd removed because she knows basic English


Hustle up some dough to invest in a professional editor that is able to pick apart your book with a fine comb


 

7. Sell your book for less than $10

CLICK HERE for a past blog


 

8. Write a book just because “everyone else is doing”

If writing is not a passion of yours, you won’t last long in this game


And in actuality, writing a book is the EASY part of publishing



9. Not reading books that’s outside your comfort zone

A good reader makes a great writer


You gotta read to improve your writing skills even if that means reading books that you normally wouldn’t touch


Speaking for myself, I read NON-fiction books…I don’t wanna find myself subconsciously influenced by other fictional writers…Non-fiction books like autobiographies, real crime stories, world history, and socio-politics help me incorporate knowledge into my stories



10. Cluelessness about your target audience 

Before you sit down and write a book, ask yourself, “whom am I writing this for?...and WHERE can I find them?”

Otherwise, your investment is pointless




BONUS: Bugging people to buy your book

Yeah, I know…it’s annoying when you have people on your Facebook friends list who either “LIKE” or comment on damn near every status, link and picture you post…


…and they STILL haven’t bought any of your books

Don’t get mad at them for that…they have SOME type of interest in you…just keep working the boards or timeline (without spamming)…they’ll eventually come along


Patience is a bitter plant whose fruits are sweet

 

Aight, people…that’s a wrap…hope you enjoyed

Peace and Afro Grease

Peace


Nah’Sun


My latest masterpiece...Oooooh yeeeeeah!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment