Thursday, April 26, 2012

The Making of Thick 2 Book Cover


Uh oh…it’s that time again

It’s that time to break down the book cover process…I’m gonna make this brief…Arm wrestling with the hands of time is draining …heck, I’m surprised I have time to draw up this blog

The show MUST go on

Aight…so I wanted a frontal image of a plus size woman…the illustrator for the original Thick book was missing in action for whatever reason

Shout out to Zach…where ever you are…hope all is well with you

Not getting a response from Zach through email had led me to hit up another secret weapon…Joshua…

I was kinda hard on Zach during the process of my Nah’Sun logo and the book cover to the original Thick…but hey…I want my shit done right and exact on the strength of how I see things

Make a long explanation short, I told my new illustrator, Joshua, what I envisioned for the one week assignment…he drew up a quick skeleton before going all the way in

  
That’s the skeleton of the original figure…Joshua felt that the woman needed more attitude…I’m not the type to put a lid on my illustrator's creative juices…so I let him do his thing

I fell back and wondered what he’d cooked up

He came up with…


The drawing was dope…I told him to take out the purple in the hair and parts of the body because this is the ORANGE BOOK of the series…Thick When the Chances are Slim is known as the RED BOOK

I’m tailoring my book covers of the Thick series to the Chakra…I might talk about the Chakra in a later blog when I have more time on my hands

Anyway…I told Joshua to take out the purple, and take out the black lines that separate the body parts…WIDER HIPS was also needed

Yep…I love wide hips…POW!


The changes were on point…I wanted a spaced out background…since the woman is the Queen of the Universe, I thought an orange spaced out background was fitting for her existence on earth (the black grass in the bottom of the book represents the earth)

I wanted the book to have an orange theme for the background…he went back to the drawing board and came up with…


Too red

Aight, chill…no worry

I told money about the red background…stubborn minds led to this…


Leave it to me to help out the sport...this version kinda reminds me of Storm from the X-Men

I didn’t wanna stress my guy over a minor (but major) part of the illustration…it’s not about getting angry or panicking over the small stuff…it’s about helping those who are helping you

The old saying of “one hand washes the other” when you’re on a team is perfect for a great outcome instead of acting like a dick at the first sign of trouble

I searched around for some orange coloring I wanted for the background…I found a few and sent the 3 bottom photos for him to work with

Color for the author header block

Shading of the background

main color













He thanked me for the alley oop and slam dunked my vision for the background

Heads kept asking me “what’s her race?” because of the heavy facial features on the drawing…Joshua faded out the facial features to leave her vague…He also used blends and shadings to separate the body parts instead of black lines to make the drawing appear more artsy

The black lines would’ve restricted the flow of the illustration…he obliged and cooked up…

The Finish Product
That’s what I’m talkin’ 'bout

As you can see, coming up with a book cover that reflects my original intent is a process itself…I’m not a believer of slapping anything on the cover just for the hell of it

I treat my book covers like artists back in the day treated their albums

And guess what???

The book cover ACTUALLY has something to do with the story...SHOTS FIRED!!!

Aight, ya’ll…I’m Audi 9G

Peace

Nah’Sun

No comments:

Post a Comment